Sunday, June 29, 2014

On Names: Cainites and Clans

One oddity of the Vampire setting is the linking of vampirism to the Biblical curse of Caine. This works fine and well for the Jews and Christians. Setites claim an origin from the Egyptian god Set, so they've got a story. But what of Greek and Roman (or Persian?) characters? Should there be a distinct origin story for them?

Likewise, for the Clans. is it worthwhile to make any setting-specific changes? For example, I plan on talking about Followers of Typhon-Set. Should I also use Children of Serapis instead of Children of Osiris? I was also considering using the alternate name for the Cappadocians: Ashurans. Rather than wholesale changes, I could just adjust the names slightly to turn Malkavians into Malcavii or otherwise Greekify, Latinify, or Copticify the clan names a bit.

Then there's the titles: Prince isn't really the most reasonable one at this point in history. But if I use Princeps, should I also use Camararius for the Keeper of Elysium, or Administrator for Seneschal?

Its also not 100% clear which language should be showcased for any given setting element. I'd consider defaulting to Latin for leadership terms (Alexandria is governed by the Romans), but maybe Greek or Coptic should get more billing? The other thing is my Latin is better than my Coptic which is better than my Middle Egyptian which is better than my Greek, so Latin is the easier thing for me. But it does matter if I wanted Malcavii or Malkavioi (assuming that's anywhere close to correct-ish for Latin vs Greek).

On the one hand, it might be more detail than we need, and potentially confusing. On the other hand, I like some of these bits of detail that make each game more unique. There's probably a minimalist middle-ground where I make one or two changes focusing on the most relevant setting elements, keeping as much similarity as possible, and leave it at that. So Princeps for Prince, Followers of Typhon-Set, etc. are probably easily done. The most important non-Greek/Latin sounding clan name gets a new ending, but most can stay as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment